The easiest way to migrate blog posts is to use the built-in WordPress export/import functionality.
There may be cases when the website owner only wants to export a portion of their posts rather than all of them and when that’s the case, there is something very important thing to keep in mind.
Any export option you choose other than “All Content”, the featured images will not be included with the export.
For sites with a small number of blog posts, you could always manually add the featured images, but that is tedious. Plus, for sites with a significant number of blog posts, this can prove to be a very large task.
So, here is a quick and easy way to migrate blog posts while keeping featured images in place.
Export Blog Posts With Featured Images
- Download, install and activate the FREE, Export Media With Selected Content plugin.
- WordPress Dashboard > Tools > Export
- Select ‘Posts’. (Note: If you just want to bring over a subset of your posts, you will want to specify the criteria as part of this step.).
- Check the ‘Export Media with Selected Content’ box.
- Click the ‘Download Export File’ button.
Import Blog Posts With Featured Images
- WordPress Dashboard > Tools > Import
- WordPress > Click ‘Install Now’.
- WordPress > Click ‘Run Importer’.
- Click the ‘Chow File’ button.
- Select your export file.
- Click the ‘Upload file and import’ button.
- Choose the desired settings for the Author(s). (Note: If you do nothing here, the default is for WordPress to try and assign the current Author of the posts.).
- Import Attachments > Check the ‘Download and import file attachments’ box.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button.