Kinsta is our preferred vendor for WordPress website hosting. The saying “You get what you pay for” rings so true when thinking about Kinsta and how they compare the other options out there. Those that use Kinsta will not only see an instant performance gain, but they will also find their environments simplified in terms of the number of optimization solutions (CDN, server settings, plugins, etc.).
We offer Free Website Migrations to Kinsta at no-cost, for those that use our affiliate link, so it’s a win-win for all.
After using this tutorial, you are in a position to begin implementing your website, without interference from caching. We recommend not putting any performance optimization (code snippets, plugins, etc.) in place until after the design process has been completed. When you’re ready to start fine-tuning the speed of your website, check out our tutorial on how to optimize WordPress websites.
Kinsta WordPress Hosting – Initial Setup
The following instructions are reflective of our location, requirements, recommendations, etc. Your implementation may differ.
- Sign up for Kinsta (Note: We’ve provided our affiliate link, which helps us continue to write tutorials like this one)
- Location > Iowa (US Central) (Note: We want to pick a server that’s closest to the majority of our customers. Because we are US-based, we want to place the server in the middle of the country.)
- Name your site
- Enable Custom Domain and enter your domain
- Choose to Add a brand new WordPress install
Kinsta Server Management
- Tools > PHP Engine: Enable the latest,
non-BETAversion available. (Note: If you notice any issues with your website, keep in mind that you may need to downgrade the PHP version.)
- Tools > SSL Certificate: Implement a Let’s Encrypt certificate. (Note: If you notice any issues with your website, keep in mind that you may need to downgrade the PHP version.)
We use FileZilla for managing our websites, so these steps will reflect the usage of that application. Download FileZilla.
- Kinsta > Site > Info > Keep open in order to reference your SFTP info
- FileZilla > Site Manager > New Site
- FileZilla > Site Manager > Protocol > SFTP
- FileZilla > Site Manager > Host > Enter the IPv4 address of your Kinsta server
- FileZilla > Site Manager > User/Password > Enter the credentials shown under SFTP/SSH on Kinsta
We use Cloudflare for our DNS management, as it’s proven to provide faster DNS services when compared to traditional domain hosting companies.
Check out our simple tutorial for using Cloudflare’s Free CDN.